• The retreat is at the Oblate La Parra Center (formerly called Lebh Shomea) just outside Sarita, TX. Directions are below.
• Please plan on arriving between 12:30 – 1:30pm.
• My cell phone number is 512.426.2228. ***If there is any reason you will be later than 1:30pm please let me know.***
• Related to the above, because of the nature of the retreat, it really does not work to come late or leave early. So please take a moment to make sure your schedule is arranged appropriately.
• The emergency contact number is 361-294-5369 and the back-up emergency number is my cell phone number, 512-426-2228. A back-up to the back-up emergency number is 210-350-0825 (Fr. David’s cell). We will ask you to turn your cell phones off.
• We will be eating simple but healthy meals. Generally a continental breakfast and a soup, sandwich, and salad lunch and dinner. If you have special dietary needs, please contact me immediately so we can work out the details.
WHAT TO BRING
- notebook and pens or pencils
- comfortable clothes (see note below)
- water bottle
- coffee cup/travel mug?
- watch (don’t plan to use your phone)
- alarm clock
- walking shoes
- rain gear?
- bug spray?
- sun-hat / sunglasses?
- jacket / sweatshirt?
Athletic clothing is fine for walking, jogging, and exercising while at the La Parra Center but please bring comfortable, casual, non-exercise clothing for prayer services, meetings, and meals.
If you are unfamiliar with the Daily Office prayer services, your retreat time will benefit greatly by listening to the Audio Daily Office podcast I have at ststephensnola.thetrinitymission.org.
Here is a link to recordings of some of the songs we use for our daily prayer services. Please listen to the songs marked with an “*” once or twice to get familiar with the songs before our retreat.
The La Parra Retreat Center is just outside Sarita, TX (just south of Kingsville). Whether coming from the north or the south the directions are the same.
>>Take the “Sarita” exit from Hwy 77/ I-69 (there’s only one Sarita exit) and do not follow your device from this point!
>>Turn EAST onto “La Parra Ranch Road” (this is the road at the stop sign you’ll come to at the exit)
>>Continue EAST till you come to a gate (several miles)
>>Introduce yourself to the the gatekeeper, he will have your name
>>Continue EAST and look for the sign saying “Oblate La Parra Center”. Bear right into the La Parra gate and driveway.
>>Turn LEFT immediately in front of the large white garage (which is on the right) and park in the small parking lot that is there